I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The first 3 days!

Me and one of my guides packing up our kit before setting off.

We left point 660 at 11.30 and started to ski up the glacier.The first 200 meters were really bad. I fell, I screamed, but then it got better except when we had to go up on blue ice: no traction, sliding sleds and it reminded me when I broke my knee ligament on ice. But I guess you get used to everything so I managed 6 hours on that horribly difficult terrain.

We sat up camp and after a good nights sleep I was ready to go.

There is a lot to do in the morning and everybody has his task. Between waking up and skiing it takes about 2,5 hours.

Although the morning was still on glacier with blue ice it gradually became less steep therefore easier. The last 4 hours of skiing was a treat. No wind sunny and flatter. Setting up camp was fast and after dinner we slept.

When we woke up we had a bad suprise. It was very windy and cold. I put on my balaclava and goggles and we set off. I don't know if it was the wind or the fact that I couldn't see much but I felt totally exhaausted. After 10 hours of skiing I crashed and and I have never felt as tired in my life. Without my to PT"s I would have called the helicopter to rescue me 10 times today.They are really caring and pay a lot of attention my my physical and emotional state.

So far we have been doing 54 km uphill with heavy sleds which is very good and I am proud to be doing it for the two charities I have chosen. My childrens messages kept me going yesterday while I was listening to Brandan's music list, Emma and Koy letters were great fun and Clair's present made me feel glamorous. And tonight I am opening YoYo's letter "by the way YoYo you are mad wanting to go to the south pole. But you are adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment