I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 13 May 2011

Day 10 and 11

Day 10

Brrrr.... Today was really cold (-20 C) with a really bitter wind. So we started with balaclavas, face masks, and the lot! There was a track which was visible in the snow and as, for once, was ready first, I took the lead The snow was good and we were really fast. We skied like this for 10 hours, and covered an amazing 34,1 kms. As it was really very very cold, we didn't hang out during the breaks and that helped our speed. We set up camp and once inside, with the stove on, it was much warmer and cosier. The evening turned out really nice as the wind died and the sun shone.

Our progress may seem very slow to some people, so let me explain how you could get a feeling for it (in fact this is how we train for such a trip). Put on a pulling harness and about 2.5 meters behind, attach a tyre to it (a good size tyre, as it is the beginning of the trip... something like the back tyre of a Lamborghini). Then find a nice beach, take 2 walking poles, and start dragging your tyre for 50 minutes at a time. Then take a 10 minutes break during which you must drink and eat plenty. And you can go on for 8 to 10 hours a day for 3 weeks. If you need to go to the toilet, try the freezer!!!! I know, it is irresistible.... As I am nice, I'll let you go back home at night, and will not force you to eat freeze-dried food. Jealous? I knew it..


Day 11

Well, you never know what to expect in Greenland when you wake up, and this morning it was fresh snow! But amazingly the outside temperature was really warm. So we set off in our thermals and followed Per-Thore who has the GPS and compass. We thought that we were going to do a short day of 22 kms, but after 8 hours we had covered 27 kms, which is really good. So we stopped, the weather having become much colder. We set up camp and we are now thinking that we could finish the crossing in 19 days instead of 23. Unfortunately this would probably not mean going back home sooner, as there are not that many flights from where we arrive on the east coast But at least we will be able to put some weight back on!!


Thank you so much to all of you who have sent me music, pictures, messages and presents. It is so nice to sit here in the tent and open them at random. I enjoy each one of them and it keeps my spirits up. I can't wait to see you all again, and thank you for helping me and the wonderful charities that I am supporting.


2 comments:

  1. Bravo Sabine nous te suivons tous avec grand interet... Bon courrage vous avancez bien! Continue le blog c'est un peu d'aventure chaque jour ds nos vies tres coporate londoniennes. Merci - Amandine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabine,
    I so admire what you are doing.
    You are very brave and I wish you success.
    Good luck and safe return.
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete