I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 13 May 2011

Day 12

Yesterday night was the coldest we had so far. It is really horrible to wake up and find that all the area around your mouth has been covered in frost. It is so cold and I really don't want to move.
We woke up again to a beautiful day (Happy Birthday Pierre!!) sunny and warm and took off in our thermals again. The first hours we broke off all our speed records with an average of over 4 kms an hour. This was fun but I started to get tired after the 5th hour. So we slowed down a little. We reached the summit (it is a big name as the ice cap is totally flat...), and took pictures with our national flags. That was fun. As soon as we were finished, we noticed that the weather was changing and some cold wind started to blow. So out came the jackets, gloves and balaclavas, and we went on. We stopped after 30 kms and set up camp, as there is really no need to go too fast. We will only get stuck in Isortok. As it is, we have changed our tickets to go to Iceland, but now we face a big problem as all internal flights that we need to take in Greenland are full!! We are trying to find a solution, but it is not like there are many daily flights!

No comments:

Post a Comment