I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Norway's National Day!!

Very poor visibility today but no wind. We start again in this powder snow, and again our progress is slow and tough. I think that we won every step that we have done so far. We really should be going downhill by now, and feeling it, but no! We are working as hard as ever. Per-Thore and Petter take turns at the front again, and it is a long hard day. After 3 hours it starts to snow, then stops. A cold wind blows for a couple of hours, then stops, and like the last 2 days, the evening turns out to be beautiful with the sun coming out just in time to take some pictures and do some filming. We have done 32 kms in 10 hours, not bad due to the conditions!

It is Norway's national day today, so the boys have taken out their flag and are singing their national anthem while I film them. Then I conduct an interview of Petter as it is also his first Greenland crossing. PT refuses to be interviewed as long as there is no beer in front of him... (guess we'll have to wait until Isortok!)

It looks like the night is going to be very very cold as a cold wind has started to blow. We are freezing while having dinner and I change the Compeeds on my heels (a new blister has appeared...). Hopefully tomorrow morning the wind will have died, the sun will be out, the snow hard, and finally we will be going downhill and will be able to take off the half skins on our skis, and gliiiiiide!! (No big hope though....).

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sabine,

    Your daily life sounds every bit as challenging as I thought it would be - and the frustration of not being able to feel like you are moving downhill. There is a metaphor for life someone in there. But you have our day by day admiration here a Children in Crisis, and it is my guilty pleasure to check on your tales of travail from the warmth and comfort of my office. No beer though - at least we have that in common. Best wishes Koy

    ReplyDelete