I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Thursday 26 May 2011

In Iceland!

Hi Everybody,

Thank you so so much to all of you for your amazing support throughout my expedition and also for so many lovely messages congratulating me on successfully completing the crossing. It was an truly unforgettable adventure and although it was incredibly tough at times and I seriously questioned my sanity over embarking on such a project.... I am so glad I did it.

It taught me that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything you want. Somehow your body will find the physical resources to do it.

Many times I believed that I was at the end of my strength and could not go further. But then, one look at my 2 guides was enough to pull myself out of any negative thought. We were a team and I had to keep going because I also knew how much this meant for them. For example, when after the second evening that I did not touch my meal as I was so tired and I really reached rock-bottom, they turned around and told me that if we wanted to cross Greenland, I HAD to eat, I understood that this expedition was not only about myself and my goals, but that I was jeopardising their expedition too, and I could not do this to them. And right there and then, I had the full justification for supporting "Right to Play"!! Team spirit was my motivation, it made me find the strength and gave me the confidence I needed, and now we are three great friends!

It is also amazing how much thinking about happy lovely memories made the going easy and the hours go fast, and how negative thoughts or anger always slowed me down and brought self-doubt. And we had a lot of time to think, so I trained my mind to think positively. I thought about my lovely friends, their messages, music, letters, presents and sponsoring, and all the people reading this blog. I thought also about the great charities that I am helping and the wonderful work that they do with children. I thought about my family, my children, Klaus, my parents, my siblings, realising how their full support for this project had made it so much fun to plan and organise. Any of them could have easily spoilt my enthusiasm by giving me some bad conscience and make me feel irresponsible to be quasi unreachable for a month, but instead they encouraged me. And I cannot put into words how grateful I am to them and how much this means to me, because it gave me the possibility to do what I am passionate about, which is to help give some children in the world, a chance for a better and brighter future.

Re-reading this blog entry makes me realise that my re-entry into my "normal" life will be probably a bit difficult as I have so many thoughts and emotions to digest!! So please be patient with me! I will try to do my best to keep the blog alive by adding pictures and more thoughts!

Here are some pictures and hopefully more will follow:

pulling my sleds on the ice cap

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sabine,

    A very moving and heartfelt post. People have done some great things in support of Children in Crisis, but this is really one of the most extraordinary and physically and emotionally draining. It is so very encouraging for us to read of your passion, commitment and your focus on doing something to make a difference for the most disadvantaged children. Well done to you and your team and thanks again. Great photos too. Best wishes and enjoy your homecoming, Koy

    ReplyDelete
  2. sabine, my heroine, you did it. I can so understand where you are now. digest it slowly. give it time. stay in your own space until YOU are ready. then I want to see you! apart from this amazing achievent, i am in owe of your writing skills. lots of love and you give me courage. will print of your last blog, to read when i am low! xx

    ReplyDelete