I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 20 May 2011

Day 19 - Leading the way across the white ice

Sunny but very windy and cold when we wake up this morning. The same north wind. We start due east and PT leads the first hour, followed by Patter. I lead for the third hour and it is so hard with these snow conditions. We have to go on a compass as all we can see is the white ice all around. I don't like compasses so I asked PT to put me on course and correct me if I deviate. But I manage to find marks on the snow, and a cloud here and there and manage quite well to keep a straight line. I am very happy when the 59 minutes are over.
As the weather is really quite unpredictable in Greenland, by the 4th hour, the wind has stopped and we are baking. We go on in our thermals, but even so we are feeling the heat. The weather stays nice for the rest of the day, and after 10 hours and another lead for me, we set up camp for the night.
We are 60 kms away from the ice falls and then it's a half day until Isortok (or so they say...). So fingers crossed we should finish on Sunday!!! What an incredible experience...

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sabine,

    What did you tell us your worst dread was - White Out and having to go by compass. Don't let Per Thore and Petter out of your sight!

    Happy progress!

    Best wishes Koy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sabine! Last few days! How you will
    miss it! Amazing isn't it those temperature changes! You are amazing as I have not heard a dip yet. Keep up the good spirits. I hope I can still drag u out on a tyre pull ! Xx yoyo

    ReplyDelete