I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Monday 9 May 2011

Still uphill... but still going!

This is Lucy from Children in Crisis - I have just received an answerphone message from Sabine out in the Arctic.  She has had a half day today to rest after a really long day yesterday.  

Day 8 (Sunday) was a really heavy going day for Sabine.  The team spent over 10 hours trekking uphill. After ski-ing for 33km, Sabine and her guides thoroughly exhausted had to set up their tent.  Sabine spoke in her answerphone message of how she had to use her last ebb of energy to warm up her aching limbs, melt some ice for water for cooking with that evening and crawl into her sleeping bag. 

With three to four more days of uphill skiing to go, Sabine is really looking forward to when the hills flatten up.  On Sunday they spent the day following the tracks of a snow mobile - all Sabine could think of was how much she wished the snow mobile would come and pick her up...  Although everything around her is so incredibly beautiful, the challenge is immensely tiring and Sabine is finding it much harder than she thought she would.  But, in her answerphone message Sabine thanks all of her friends, family and supporters for sponsoring her and believing in her as she is having a life changing experience unlike anything she could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment