I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Day 15 and 16

Day 16

Blue sky today but really cold. We set off again in powder snow, and again our progress is desperately slow. The boys take it in turn to break the trail and I admire them as it is really not easy! The sleds are definitely sinking in the snow making it difficult to keep a course, so they are skiing and at the same time checking the compass and GPS often. We set up camp after 10 hours of skiing, frankly mostly slightly uphill. It is frustrating as we should be going downhill to Isortok! Well, hopefully tomorrow, we will start skiing down for real!
We are totally fantasizing about food. We talk about it non-stop. Antonia, Lucy and Rebecca beware, the boys are dreaming about the canapes of the party!! They also dream about a beer, and I know what will be our first port of call in Isortok!!
Apparently the weather is going to be good for the rest of our trip, with possibly the exception of tomorrow when we might have some wind and clouds.

Day 15

Very frustrating and hard day today. We have deep powder snow and our skis and sleds sink in it. Every step is a mission and we only cover 26kms in 9 hours. Per-Thore and Petter take turns at the front to break trail, and I am in second position so that the track is a little bit easier for the one who has come off the lead. Unfortunately we have just gotten the news that the weather is probably going to worsen and that the wind will blow in our faces. So it looks like tomorrow will be another very hard day. What is also very frustrating is that we should be going downhill which should make it easier with the sleds, but it does not feel like it at all.
Anyway we are really tired and off to bed to have a good rest and try to put a long day in tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sabine - tell your guides there will be plenty of beers and canapees when you return, don't worry!

    Keeping fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete