I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Monday 23 May 2011

Extreme Mother - Finishes her challenge of a lifetime

I have just received a text message from Sabine.  Her first to me in 22 days!

Sabine and her guides completed their challenge last night at 7pm Greenland time!! She is OVER THE MOON!!!

The challenge was very hard right up until the very end.  But they managed to hitch a ride back to Isortok from a local - Greenland style this involved them being pulled acrossed the frozen fjord behind 10 dogs. Absolutely terrifying as Sabine could here the ice cracking beneath their weight, and see the water moving beneath them...

The team's next challenge is to get back home as the only way from the east coast of Greenland is via Iceland and the rather large volcanic ash cloud (or of course to turn back the way they have just come - though I do not think Sabine will be up for that idea!!).

I would like to wish Sabine and her guides a HUGE congratulations from everyone at Children in Crisis and Right To Play - she truly is one incredible and extreme mother!

1 comment:

  1. Sabine,

    I am deeply impressed and can't wait to hear your account of the ice cracking. Well done - none of it sounded comfortable, but I also look forward to hearing about the nice bits.

    So huge congratulations and good luck flying back. What's next??

    Best wishes Koy

    ReplyDelete