I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Saturday 30 April 2011

Busy in Greenland... finally!

What a wonderful feeling this morning to board the Air Greenland plane! Finally I am on my way.

I met Per-Thore in Copenhagen yesterday night and shared a nice meal in the hotel. Then I went to my room and went through all my bags about 20 times.. (no, I am NOT AT ALL stressed...), and finally went to bed knowing that I was as well organised as I will ever be!! This morning after a nice breakfast, we boarded our plane and had a very nice flight to Kangarlussuaq. It was cloudy over Iceland and also half way over Greenland. We met Petter at the airport (a very grand name for this dump), and went to our lodge (absolutely nothing whatsoever comparable to the wonderful Tordrillos lodge..).
There I found my sleds (Petter made a nice cover with my charity and sponsor), harness, skis, shoes and all the equipment I left with Petter. We spent the afternoon packing everything in million of bags and distributing them in the sleds. I have a bag in which I have packed 7 smaller bags with all my food for 1 day), another bag with spare clothes and medicines, another one with my valuables, and my "tent" bag which has all everything I need in the evening and night in 5 bags (washbag, pegs, journal, IPod and my bag of surprises and letters... Yeah!!....)

Valerie (my daughter) made me laugh so much yesterday as she gave me a "courage" bracelet with a card with the following message "I don't do silly mistakes, just very very clever ones!!!" I loved it. Of course she did not buy it in reference to my challenge, but because she knew it would make me laugh and she was right. I burst out laughing in the plane causing some people to look at me a bit strangely!

Petter is trying to come to grips with the beautiful Nikon camera. He has some problems with the sound and the quality of the image.
I have problems downloading my blog from the internet! Well I will try to sort it but I have the feeling that the solution will most probably involve the lovely Lucy at Children in Crisis!

BIG NEWS!! We are leaving tomorrow and not Monday. We have finished everything and got all the autorisations. So why wait? I am really happy and can't wait.

Next time you will get some news from me, I will be on the ice!!
Lots of love to you all!

Sabine
www.extrememother.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Sabine,

    Best of luck to you! Take it easy and enjoy the experience. I am SO jealous!

    Katya

    ReplyDelete