I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

9 days to go! Great news!

Three great news today! 
. Lovely Dee who did my promotional video has had her baby, a little boy called Noah. 
. The Right to Play have managed to get Chelsea Football Club to give me a shirt signed by all the team as a sponsorship incentive. I am going to put it in a draw in which the names of all my individual sponsors will go (however much or little they gave), and draw it on July 6th when I have my charity evening. 
. Lucy from Children in Crisis and Antonia have been busy organising the Party and have done a fabulous job. It will be in a lovely place with an auction, coverage by a magazine, goodie bags, celebrities, the lot... I'm soooo excited.
Now the only thing left to do is... for me to cross Greenland!! (argh...)


I really can't wait to go! I feel that I am in good shape mentally and physically. To go to Alaska was definitely the right decision. I miss the snow. It is very difficult to train and to get motivated in London when the weather is so warm and beautiful. When I pull my tyre in the park, not only everybody does look at me like if I were a Martian, but there are millions of people, dogs, babies, bicycles and ice-cream vans everywhere and it doesn't make my life easy!! So probably the best is to stop training and put on some weight and fat for the trip and tuck happily into eclairs, croissants, chocolate, and all my favourite snacks (I have become an addict of Pitta chips and to my delight found them in Wholefoods). I can't believe that I am doing this before the summer but apparently I will lose a lot of weight on the trip!  


Only 9 days left and I am running through town to get the last things for Greenland. Petter has been giving me a list of bags and thermos to buy. Now, not only do we have two bank holiday weekends back to back in the UK because of Easter and the Royal wedding which means that Royal Mail will have a ...royal excuse to mess deliveries up (sorry, I couldn't resist!), but most internet companies having limited stocks, I now have orders with 5 different companies (yipieee!!). So I have been busy trying to chase these orders to make sure that the goods will be here by next Friday. Not easy in normal times, really hard while on jetlag!!


I have also been given many useful personal tips by fellow explorers (I love describing myself as an arctic explorer...), on sun protection, electrolytes and Vitamin C, blister control, well being, dry bags and hygiene (this is the really disturbing aspect of this trip...), so now I have purchased a zillion little things of which I am probably going to use a tenth, but at least, I will have the choice on what to take with me on the trip. I count on my two fellow guides to go through all these ruthlessly in Kangarlussuaq, as otherwise my sleds will not only look like over inflated balloons, but will also weigh a ton!! But I will definitively follow David Marchi's lovely idea. He said that I should ask some friends and family to give me a surprise (small and light) that I will take with me on the trip and I open one of them randomly perhaps every three or four days to perk me up. I have already two music lists and can't wait for my kids's surprises. I added my personal treat (a sample bottle of my perfume..)! If anyone wants to send me something to take along from them (photo, poem, letter, whatever), please do so and send it to me at sabinediederichs@googlemail.com (I'll try not to look at the attachment and will ask one of my children to print it and seal it in an envelope! Maybe write surprise for Greenland as mail title so I don't open it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment