I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 8 April 2011

My fundraising DVD is done!

Dee, Ronit and all involved with filming and editing a short fundraising message on a DVD have done an amazing job! Thanks a million for it!! Shortly I will put the link on my blog, but I need to check with the bigwigs if I can do this!! We have been greatly inspired by the "brains on bikes" DVD of the amazing Anne Feeley which I found very inspiring. Hopefully it will be a fundraising success as sponsorship is very very slow to come! 


It has been a bit of a struggle to find a lot of time to train back in London, with the weather being so hot, thousands of people, dogs and children in the park, as well as the millions of things to organise for May. As if crossing Greenland was not enough, I am also renovating my house and had to find someone who understood my taste, could do the work on a tight budget and time. I am confident that I have found the right people and that they will do a great job! I will have to totally delegate as I am coming back from Alaska on April 18th, the day Miranda goes on Holidays and I will be gone to Greenland when she comes back to London!!! Any serious issue will have to wait until June. Well there are priorities in life, and I'd rather give my time to improve children's lives, than to make my house absolutely picture perfect. 


I really look forward to Alaska, the cold, the snow, a sled and a frozen lake. Somehow I am so tuned to Greenland that I feel like a stranger in the hot weather! I hope that I will have the willpower to train long hours while I am there. I am certainly going to try and load that sled to the max, so that the uphill going of the first 2 days of the crossing will be less painful. Hopefully I will also get all the blisters that I should get for a month so that I know exactly where to put my Compeeds. Whatever I do, or however I try to prepare my skin, I get terrible blisters on my toes. But I am used to it, and thanks to the modern plasters, it is really not that tragic anymore and I can carry on walking. I don't know how the first explorers did though! Apparently it has been snowing loads in Tordrillos, so my son will have the time of his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment