I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Thursday 28 April 2011

Almost gone!

So tomorrow is the big day!! My bags are packed. I rushed through a pre-royal wedding London this afternoon to find extra Nikon batteries, a good lapel microphone and some biltong, and almost went mental!! The traffic was absolutely crazy and to make matters worse, my taxi could not find anything better than to drive... in front of Buckingham Palace and down the Mall!! Suicidal.... When I asked him why he did this, he enquired if I knew London well!!!!!..... (grrrr.... do I really have SUCH a strong French accent????). You should have seen his face when I replied that I've been living here for the past 25 years.. Ha! ha!


But I am not going to let myself get too upset by this as I had two wonderful news today which made me soooooo happy, one regarding sponsorship, the other regarding Corsica.

Tonight, thinking about it all, I must say that I feel really blessed with my life. Not only because I was born in a loving family from educated parents and in a peaceful country (quite a lot of advantages over the children I want to help with this challenge... but also because of my wonderful friends!

First with my wonderful family
My children have always been the greatest source of joy to me. 
They are simply too good to be true. Too many qualities to name here. 
Then my parents who were always very supportive have become even more so recently. My mother has written the most touching messages to me and I love it. 
Klaus who is a wonderful family man and a great father, has really touched me with his generosity. 

And then with my friends. 
The one I knew well and knew I could count on and who have supported me since I started those fundraising challenges long ago.
The others that I know less well, but who have turned out to be equally amazing! Sponsoring me since day one and sending me messages of support.
Like the man who I don't know but who is a friend of a friend and who has sent me messages since the beginning of my blog and who today sent me the most amazing song on children!
Or, the very recent friend who has sponsored me very generously and who writes witty messages of encouragement.
The family who has decided to give me a sustantial donation from their family trust,
The ones who can't give me any money but who write, give useful advice and pray for me and are really touching with their  thoughtfulness,
All of those who have sent me a mail with a surprise attached to it, so that my children could print it and put it into an envelope
Roxy and Lucy's lovely dogjogger who brought this amazing chocolate to my house so I could take it with me to Greenland,
My chiropodist who had a card made specially for me.
Emma my expedition doctor who came all the way to my house to deliver her surprise card,
Sophie who gave me a good luck bracelet,
All the people at CIC and RTP as well as Antonia who work so hard for my campaign, 
And all the others too numerous to name who have given me wonderful memories to take with me.

I will not be bored pulling my sled as I will be thinking of each and everyone of you and it will bring a smile to my face (too bad for the wrinkles...) as it always does. I just wanted to say a big 
thank you 
and let you know that you are the most wonderful friends and that I was very lucky the day that my path crossed yours and I hope that  I will be able to transfer the energy, love and support you give me to the children I thrive to help and whose lives I would like to improve!


No comments:

Post a Comment