I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

3 days to go!!

I finally uploaded Petter's little movie on You Tube so that the few of you who don't have Facebook can also have a laugh!

Here is the link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZz8fxLSU9k

I can't believe how time flies!! I am going to go to the gym this morning as I feel so unfit. Then I have to go and try to find the few items which are still missing. An IPod, beef jerkies (difficult to find here but I have seen signs for a South African butcher near Richmond Park and will go there), and some of Tesco's delicious trail mix. I will start packing tonight and I don't know how everything will fit in my bag. Thank God, I have two big sleds in Greenland...


I wonder what will go through my mind during the trip as I will have 9 hours per day where I will be in my bubble (knowing me it will be less as I am such a chatterbox and poor Petter and Per-Thore will have to listen to my constant bla, bla, bla....). Until now, I must admit that a certain anger has been a very efficient fuel during my past challenges, especially trekking. The less happy I was in general, the faster I walked. That way, I had to concentrate so hard on where I put my feet that I could not think too much about my life... 
But, I also always wanted to write a book. Will the inspiration come on the ice cap (or will I have to go to the South Pole or to some other lost place for that)? I also have a zillion ideas for setting up a charitable structure to help children and animals. Maybe I will be able to sift through all of those and come with a workable plan. After all, I have two solid, no-nonsense men with me for 3 weeks and they will be able to make me think realistically. All inequalities in this world really make me angry, but even more so when it affects children and their education. It is a reality, but I find it an injustice, that good education is very expensive and that a lot of good parents with clever children just can't afford it. Shouldn't our taxes cover good education? 
Maybe I just found the anger which will fuel me on the ice!!! 
I might do the crossing in 1 week........

No comments:

Post a Comment