I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Sunday 27 March 2011

Flying back to England

I love travelling as I quite often have wonderful conversations with complete strangers on planes, and today was no exception.


On my way back from Trondheim to Gatwick, I sat next to a lovely couple who were going to London for a few days to escape the Norwegian snowy weather and find some spring and flowers in London. I started to chatter to the Lady about banalities and one thing leading to another, we talked about everything: the lack of sun in the north of Norway for 3 months of the year, our different cultures and our consumer habits. We talked about the poorest countries of the world where we export our toxic waste, although, as she rightly said, no one taken individually would approve about pollution or bullying, but unfortunately, often the financial argument always manages to make it a collective necessity. We discussed the teachings of the old, the blessing of having children (she even has grandchildren), and above all, the importance to realise how lucky we are and to remain humble. It made me really happy to share so much and realise that at heart we have the same values and the same honesty. I can get so downhearted when I watch the news, listen to war reports, or simply watch how our society is money driven, that it gives me a lot of hope in the future to meet such people as Ester. If you read these lines, thank you for sharing so much with me. 


This challenge has a wonderful impact on my life. I have discovered how the majority of people are keen to help but are too shy to propose their help, so I have had to come out of my shell and ask, which is difficult for me, but so rewarding! I have made many friends who share the same vision of a world where we work together and use our resources to give back and help humanity instead of only helping ourselves. I have learnt to be open about my feelings and more vulnerable, even if it makes me uneasy. And above all, after all these years, I am starting to trust myself, the real Sabine, and it is a wonderful feeling and gives me a lot of confidence and serenity.

No comments:

Post a Comment