I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Monday 7 March 2011

Busy day!

London is so beautiful when the sun is shining, and today there was not one cloud in the sky!


My day started with a grocery delivery (still and always a Mum and housewife), and then I put on my backpack, which today weighed 20 kilos, and headed for a 2 hour walk in Hyde Park park with my dogs. 
I just love walking with my backpack!
It brings back memories from trekking along the GR20 in Corsica. It is a really tough mountainous trek that I did twice. The first time I only did the northern part in 5 days and the first 2 days were incredibly tough. I had huge blisters on my feet, and the going was either very steep going up, or down, and frankly I didn't know what was worse! But as the days went on, I felt more and more like a fish in water. A couple of years later, I did the GR20 in its entirety in 12 days, and although the first 2 days were as tough and painful as during the first run, once over this hurdle, I enjoyed the trek so much that I was very sad when it ended.
Hopefully, the same will happen in Greenland! I think that the first 2 days will be very tough as we are hauling our heavy sled uphill on a glacier. By the time we reach the icecap and the relative flatness of it, I shall be pretty exhausted but hopefully without blisters or frostbite, and pulling the sled will become second nature.


Back from the park, I jumped in my car, and off to the gym for my lesson with Andy. We worked hard today and concentrated on my abs... As soon as the lesson finished I was off to see Jatinder and his wife who run "Embroidery by Design Ltd". If anyone who reads these lines has any embroidery work to be done, this is the place! There were so nice and are embroidering all my training clothes with the charity logos as well as my beautiful "Extreme mother" logo.
Quick lunch at home and off to a meeting with Antonia, as well as Rebecca Cork and Dee Macdonald who both work for The Right to Play. We talked about doing a launch party and strategies to get some media exposure in order to get more sponsors. I must say that I am a bit disappointed at the moment as sponsorship is coming very slowly. Sadly the economic situation does not help. But I am an optimist by nature, and I am sure that I just have to be patient! At least I have a lot of help and support from the 2 charities.
And to finish the day, I went to my drama class and we had a really great course tonight. We were a small group and we are doing impros with masks. Fascinating!


When I read those lines I realise how lucky I was the day I was born. It is true that you need luck in life, and when I think of the appalling conditions in which some children are born, and the cosy loving environment I was born in, I feel that I cannot do nothing. 
I believe that life is a give and take, so now I am giving back by helping children have the means to get a better life

No comments:

Post a Comment