I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 4 March 2011

Beautiful day

Did yoga with Charlie this morning and we are designing a stretching program that I can do in the tent!! PT and Petter will love this! But I will have them do it too. It is really important to stretch and I am not sure that they do it.

And then I went to Wimbledon to meet Yoyo. I had so much fun on the way filming myself with the Flip in the car talking about the challenge and about ideas to do a small DVD talking about the challenge, see some training shots in the park and the gym, having pictures of Greenland, people skiing and pulling pulkas, sastrugis, etc... Then we could send this to potential sponsors and it would be more dynamic than the footage that we have at the moment.
Yoyo is another very inspiring woman 
who is going to take part in the race to the South Pole!!! My God, she is my idol. Yoyo is a friend of a friend, but I felt like I knew her since ever as we share so much passions and thoughts. We are both quite passionate characters, very optimistic, quite tough, and it seems that we love life so much that we don't want to waste time! We both like skiing, trekking, the New Forests, our dogs, pushing ourselves to the limit, and of course adore our kids. We talked about doing the Haute Route together next year, and I hope that we will.
Anyway, Yoyo very very kindly lent me a lot of the stuff which she went to the North Pole in. A very warm down jacket, some shoes for the tent, gloves and something which I had no idea existed and which will be soooo good for my back at the end of a gruelling day: a foldable chair. I told her that I will be thinking of her and thanking her everyday in Norway and Greenland!
From Wimbledon to Brook Green where I went to see Karen, who designed my beautiful logo. Such a lovely and helpful lady. I cannot believe that she produced such an amazing artwork in such a short time. She worked on it even more today to make "extreme mother" more easily readable, and it will look stunning on my clothes. I can't wait to wear it. I think that this will be the day when this whole adventure will really sink in my brain. I will go and see Jatinder asap and have him do transfers to put my logo (green for Greenland!) on my training clothes so that I can use them next week in the park.


So watch out for extreme mother training on rollerskis  in Hyde Park next week!!

Now, for dinner, I am going to sample one of the freeze dried food that I will bring with me in Greenland!! "Salmon in dill sauce with potatoes" anyone???? Maybe Gloria Gaynor was crossing the Arctic and eating this dinner when she wrote "I will survive"!!!.. If there is no new post tomorrow, please call 999!!

No comments:

Post a Comment