I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Sunday 27 March 2011

Filming with TV2

On Friday afternoon, I boarded a Norwegian.no plane and landed in Trondheim where I met Petter and his son Ola. It was snowing and windy. What luck that I trained in good weather! We drove back to Stoljen in Sweden. There we spent a couple of hours going through all the expedition material that I had bought in the UK and which cost me a little fortune in overweight luggage!! Luckily apart from 3 down mats which are very comfortable but quite tedious to inflate, we kept everything. I will send the mats back and exchange them for some simpler ones.


The next day, Thome the TV2 reporter met us and we reenacted my training process for him. It started to snow quite heavily at times and the wind picked up, so setting up the tent was more difficult than before. But we managed and were filmed doing all this. I dug the snow inside the tent, installed the mattresses, the sleeping bags, we lighted the stove and conducted my interview inside the tent. We were dressed in our wonderful Brynje clothes, a Norwegian brand which is quite extraordinary and it looked like an advertising campaign! Thome told me that he was going to interview me and that it would be great if I could give him short and precise answers (....) which, anyone who knows me well knows that is not really my style!!... I am more like :"ok, I do it for this... but, .. also for that... and actually..., maybe also for this... although....". No, none of that, precise and concise answers, argh..., but somehow, I seemed to manage!! Thome was interested in:
.  the Norwegian connection to my challenge, i.e. Right to Play and Johann Olaf Koss, and Per-Thore Hansen and Arctic Adventures
. the charity side of it 
. my reason for coming to Norway to train, 
. but also my personal reasons for doing this challenge. 
Then we packed the tent and he conducted an interview of Petter before filming us skiing. After I not so gracefully fell just in front of the camera while going downhill (my only fall...), it was time to say goodbye to Thome. I can't wait to see the interview on TV.

The rest of the afternoon was spent going through more planning, and, of course, some eating (they make very good waffles in Sweden!). After picking up Ola who went skiing with some schoolfriends he met there, we drove back to Trondheim where I slept in the airport hotel. I am really happy as Petter and I get along really well. He teaches me without condescendence and he actually listens if I make a suggestion. Thus we are a good team, we work as hard and as efficiently as we can, but have a lot of fun, crack a lot of jokes and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment