I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Friday 25 February 2011

My team

I am lucky to have with me 2 of the best Norwegian guides. They have been part of the succesful NORUK expedition to the North Pole in 2009. 
Per-Thore Hansen used to be in the army and is a great leader and motivator. He is also one of Norway’s best dogsledder (musher) and expedition guide. I met him when he was our guide on the dogsledding trip I did in Norway last year to raise money for the Right to Play. I was truly impressed by his leadership and extreme command of any situation. His dogs are the cleverest and best behaved huskies you will ever meet. 


Petter Thorsen is a great skier and was in the Royal Norwegian marines. He also runs ATE "Arctic Training and Expeditions" camps in Norway where he runs different programs to train people how to survive and operate in an arctic environment.

We will have a doctor, lovely Emma Alcock on call at all times here in the UK to give us instructions on what to do in case of injury. Emma was the doctor on my dogsledding trip last year.

Our HQ will be manned by Per-Thore’s wife Hege, who seems to be an amazing woman who has been part of many expeditions and is a very experienced musher (she was doing a very tough dogsledding race last year for the first time and finished it well) and a kayaker. She is also finds the time to raise 2 children.

No comments:

Post a Comment