I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Busy day

Had a busy day today with lovely Antonia, who is looking after all my PR. We first went to the offices of the "Right to Play" and had a very good meeting about the many ways that they can help me raise my profile with the aim of getting more donations, and then went to see the head of a big PR company who helped with the planning and timing of the campaign. It was extremely helpful and I feel much more relaxed now as I think that it is a great plan which makes sense. Instead of starting our offensive now, he thinks that it is much better to wait until just before the crossing itself, thus focusing harder on a shorter period of time.


I find this ideal as it allows me to really focus on my fitness for the time being and not waste my energy pursuing too many goals. He even asked if the patrons of both charities would not be tempted to walk the first day with me, which I must say would be a fantastic endorsement. But we still have a lot of time before we have to decide what to do.


Petter Thorsen called while I was in a meeting and I had the impression that on one hand, he loved the fact that I was getting media attention, but on the other hand, was worried that I would not be focusing enough on my fitness. In order to get the permission for the challenge from the Inuit authorities, he had to prove that I was not a complete novice and had some challenges under my belt!! Fingers crossed, they will allow me to start the crossing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment