I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Thursday 17 February 2011

1100 vertical meters to Tournalin mountain hut

Good news, it is snowing!! Not much though but we see snowflakes falling from the sky... Just enough to cover some very very treacherous ice..

Today's start was from the other side of St Jacques (alt 1500m). We went through a deep forest, up a tiny path  which wound up gently. However there was some ice and it was really very tricky to go over it with the skis.


To the delight of Christophe my guide, I fell flat on my stomach and was really stuck there. He had to come
 and help me!! Very ladylike... and it was just after one hour



We went up for another 2 hours in a mixture of forest, bad snow and road to reach the refuge of Tournalin. We did not stop as much as yesterday and I could take a good steady rythm, and we reached what I thought was the refuge, but in fact was a cabin. We still had another 300 vertical meters to go and they were the steepest. In those 45 minutes something amazing happened. 

It says God sees all
I thought about the children I was doing this for and it gave me the willpower to go on. In fact we went up real fast, the fastest we've climbed so far!!  After a well deserved lunch in the refuge, we skied back to the car in the most horrible powder snow ever. But going through the village I saw a message on the church which I love and I hope it's true (see picture). 





No comments:

Post a Comment