I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Monday 21 February 2011

Back in London

Back in London working on my fitness, but also on the awareness of the challenge. It is really important to keep in my mind that my aim is to help some of the most disadvantaged children in the world, by bringing them education and propel learning, development and self-esteem through sport and play. In our societies, we take the right to education, health and democracy for granted. Unfortunately this is not the case in a lot of countries where wars, natural disasters or corruption are the norm.


It would be easy to turn a blind eye, but I cannot do this, as children and women are suffering and are the innocent victims. I try to put myself in their shoes and imagine the courage that it must take to decide to escape such countries and to make the often horrendously difficult journey to refugee camps.


By setting up schools, playing fields and community buildings, Children in Crisis and the Right to Play help rebuild societies by bringing mothers and children out of their grief and isolation and by slowly restoring their trust in men, giving them tools to take their future in their own hands, as well as bringing a smile on their face. And for me, a child's smile is what life is about!



No comments:

Post a Comment