I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Monday 28 February 2011

Some words on Children in Crisis

What a wonderful charity with a wonderful aim!
"giving each child the right to quality education". 
A unimaginable 72 million children never go to school with more than half of them in countries devastated by war.
I strongly believe that giving them an education will help transform their life, their community and their country. If every child can learn in a safe, non-violent environment, where boys and girls are treated equally and their human rights protected,
it is                    a huge step against poverty.

Children in Crisis is present in seven countries : 
. in the United Kingdom and Italy, it is delivering interactive drug and alcohol education within education centres. 
. In Africa, (Sierra Leone, Democratic Republic of Congo and Liberia) it is building schools and training teachers with emphasis on the HIV/AIDS problem in Sierra Leone, and girl's education in Liberia.
. In Afghanistan, it is working towards children protection, their rights and their education.
. In China, they are running community projects and training midwives.
Their philosophy is:  
"that the greatest progress towards the global goals to end poverty will be made by focusing on the hardest to reach and the most vulnerable"
I totally agree to this and I think that it is right to concentrate on the part of the population which faces daily discrimination, namely young children, but with emphasis on young girls, and women.

Thank you to all of you who are supporting me with donations or encouraging me with nice words and for sharing my vision of a truly educated world.

No comments:

Post a Comment