I am crossing Greenland on skis in May, pulling my sled to raise money for "Right To Play" and "Children in Crisis". These charities help children in the most traumatised regions of the world. I strongly believe that the world is a community and that children are our future. So for me, it is absolutely necessary that children all over the world acquire social skills, team spirit and an education so that they can respect themselves. I will face extreme cold, howling winds, fatigue and icy snow. I will have to carry everything I need on my sled and back. I will sleep in a tent in the middle of nowhere. I might even encounter a polar bear!! I am really super excited but terrified!! It is a minimum of 3 weeks so I think that my limits will be thoroughly tested.

Wednesday 8 June 2011

2 weeks on...

2 weeks on and the memories of the crossing that stay with me are the good and happy ones. The evenings in the tent, the rest day on Friday May 13th, waving the French flag on what we called the summit of the ice cap although we still seemed to be going up for another 10 days after it (...), interviewing Petter on the "sofa" (i.e. our sleeping bags on the sled...), Norwegian national day, the biltong and mashed potatoes, our outings in Tassilak, and many many more... 


I try to apply the lessons that I learnt on the ice to my everyday life, especially the ones about "thinking positive" and that "I have a choice". This trek has definitely made me closer to my friends and given me a lot of self-confidence. Where I endlessly hesitated before, now I am much more straightforward and trust my instinct more. I also learnt that what is perfect for me, can be far from perfect for someone else, therefore I should not let myself be affected so much by other people's opinions, as, at the end of the day, I am the one living my life. 


I feel really bad as every friend I meet is so full of praise and admiration, and thinks that what I have done is an unbelievable achievement. I don't see it that way. Of course it was very difficult, but the proof that it was feasible is that I did it. It is true that I am no professional athlete, might be older than most people who do this trek every year and had quasi no experience of nordic skiing. But I am also (hopefully) wiser, and much more honest and tougher with myself than when I was younger. I also have the time and the means to go to the gym and train. And, from a mother's perspective, to be able to do this trek while raising money to help other children to get education and team spirit was a great motivation and fulfilment. 


Hopefully I will find the time to write a book, and Petter will be able to do a movie about this expedition. My daughters want me to do the same for all my previous treks and challenges and have a sweet idea about doing it. I have my journals and love rereading them. What started as an yearly 10-day escape from my life as a housewife in London has turned into wonderful memories of walking in the desert, going up the great wall of China, dogsledding, crossing Greenland, mountaineering, rock-climbing, trekking in Corsica and I am sure that I am forgetting some. I am very fortunate to have been able to do this while at the same time helping disadvantaged children. 

But for me, the real stars are my wonderful friends and family. Because at the end of the day, they are the ones who give me support and sponsor me year after year, trusting me to find the right charities and allowing me to enjoy the challenges without guilt, making me and a lot of children very happy at the same time. 
So a big thanks and three cheers to all of you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment